It’s been quite a few weeks! The turmoil around the world has been unprecedented. The story has evolved like a science fiction movie, and it’s frightening!
Here are some of the things that we know:
- The world has awakened to the ability of Public Health officials and governments to take actions to restrict the amount of disease and death from a serious virus.
- The COVID-19 virus is highly contagious and has a significantly higher mortality rate (kills more people) then other coronaviruses.
- Although younger adults and children are less likely to get sick from COVID-19, they can still get ill, and some people as young as in-their 30’s have died.
- Individuals over 65 years old, and/or have other illnesses (particularly heart and respiratory illnesses) are more likely to be come seriously ill and die.
- Social distancing, and hygiene, can help slow the spread of COVID-19 and reduce the number of people infected.
- Contagious disease experts believe that somewhere between 40 – 70% of all Americans will contract the disease.
- This link takes you to the CDC to discuss key facts about COVID-19
Now – what are WE to do? I think the first thing is to avoid panic. If we avoid panic, there will be enough toilet paper for all of us! Following the guidelines outlined by public health and government officials is very important. Then what? It appears that the spread of this virus will most likely play out over a number of months, and possibly simmer for up to a year or more.
In the short and long terms there are a number of things that we can do to reduce the impact of coronavirus on our own bodies. I recommend that we take steps to boost our immune system and focus on strengthening our general health. These steps would help us to minimize the seriousness of any infection: It could help to reduce the severity of symptoms, the length of illness, and even our ability to survive.
Here are some suggestions to help strengthen our health:
- Keep your spine in good alignment Click here for information on how Chiropractic and the immune system and linked.
- Eat a well-balanced and clean diet: click here for immunity-boosting foods
- Lots of greens and fruits (organic)
- Good healthy sources of proteins and healthy fats (organic pasture or grass-fed meats, wild caught fish, nuts, whole grains and legumes)
- Avoid overly processed foods, foods with high sugar content, and saturated fats
- Exercise is critical to a healthy immune system and should include the following: Click here to learn the link between exercise and immunity.
- Cardiovascular (walking, hiking, running)
- Strengthening (weightlifting, calisthenics, working with elastic bands)
- Stretching and range of motion (yoga or similar practice)
- Take time to relax, turn off all the news for a while. Practice meditation or intentional breathing. Click here to learn how meditation can boost your immune system.
These simple actions will contribute to better health, using our worry about the pandemic to spur us to positive action in our lives. We are in the midst of a major global health emergency – and there are steps we can take to protect and empower ourselves!
I look forward to humanity coming out of this crisis, or at least you and I coming out of this, stronger, healthier, happier and with more wisdom. Take good care of yourself, and come in for a check-up to make sure your spine is in good alignment.