The latest studies show that “depletion of certain friendly bacteria in your gut flora and elevated levels of harmful bacteria in your gut flora are associated with dementia, Alzheimer’s, and heart disease."
Gut flora are often called microbiomes and are talked about in cutting edge scientific healing. The highlights of the above mentioned study can be summarized as follows:
- Your gut flora is intrinsically involved in dementia, cardiovascular disease (including arteriosclerosis), and cerebrovascular, and more); your cognitive abilities are also linked to your gut flora diseases. (This is something natural docs have known for decades)
- Certain types of gut bacteria are associated with dementia.
- Concentrations of indole, ammonia, skatole, and phenol in the gut – all signs of an unhealthy gut and flora – were higher in demented people than non-demented people.
- Your mental/emotional state (depression, anxiety, and more), as well as your cognitive abilities (thinking, remembering, working out problems, etc.) are also linked to your gut flora.
- There are simple and positive things you can do to improve the ratio of healthy to harmful gut bacteria. This will help you prevent and even treat problems like dementia, Alzheimer’s, cardiovascular disease, emotional health and mood, and circulation to most organs.
- The study showed that supplementation with probiotics is effective in some cases.
We can nurture our gut health by eating a diet without unhealthy fats, sugar and processed fats and oils. Instead your diet should be rich in fruits and vegetables, as well as healthy protein and fats like eggs, fish and nuts. I personally recommend the Page Diet Plan (call the office for a free copy).
The bacteria in the gut are dependent on real, whole, properly digested food. If you are low on stomach acid, have a sluggish gallbladder or liver, or are deficient in pancreatic enzymes, you will be passing down partially undigested foods to your gut. These cause daily harm to your gut, your gut lining and your gut bacteria.
Digestion and health gut flora are one of the foundations of a healthy life. The foundation of any nutrition program should first focus on digestion.